Experience and Qualifications
Debi Lowrie DchA
I set up this company with the primary objective being to help local charities and faith organisations with all aspects of their financial services whilst also supporting local SMEs and self employed individuals.
I hold a Diploma in Charity Accounting from the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) which I achieved via the experience route, only 842 other individuals have achieved this.
I am also AAT qualified and have successfully achieved 4 CIMA examinations.
I worked for the NHS for over 20 years in many different roles within the finance department. My career encompassed many different roles from starting a YTS placement to directly supporting the deputy finance director working within various departments within the Finance directorate including Financial Management, Financial Control and managing the hospitals Charitable Funds in varying degrees for most of the employment.
I spent five years working within a designated team managing all aspects of the charity’s finances, with annual income and expenditure in excess of £1m. In this role I was responsible for the overall financial management and financial control, including:
- Monthly control account reconciliations.
- Maintaining records of the stock portfolio and reconciling to the quarterly investment report from the investment managers.
- Review of monthly donations receipted, expenditure and commitments to ensure accuracy.
- Preparation of quarterly reports to present to the trustees.
- Preparation of the annual accounts to meet both the Trust reporting deadlines and statutory regulatory requirements ensuring that they are SORP and FRS compliant.
- Liaise with both internal and external auditors to ensure accounts are approved.
- Review of processes to improve efficiencies and ensure good governance was upheld.
- Maintaining the legacy register and ensuring that all correspondence relating to any estate bequeathed to the charity was administered efficiently which involved contact with the deceased family, executors and solicitors.
- Managing the staff lottery.
In my role I also undertook various projects including:
- Production of an informative handbook for staff.
- Project lead identifying research and development funding.
- Procurement and implementation of new IT systems.
I am a member of a Baptist Church, I am currently working alongside my church Treasurer and I am an affiliate member of the Institute of Charity Independent Examiners.